November 30, 2008

A Brewful Holiday

When Monty told me that one of the side-effects of homebrewing was an always-ringing doorbell, I figured that had something to do with the relationships he had with his particular neighbors. But now that all of the fermenting & such is finished for Batch Bet, it's becoming clear that half the fun of making beer is sharing it at opportune moments.

I brought a six-pack of the freshly minted 2JB pumpkin ale to my parents' house for Thanksgiving, chilled it in their extra fridge and brought out the bottles for the cocktail/appetizer hour. I'd originally thought there'd be some mild interest from most of the gathered family, along with a smaller core of fans who'd want a bottle.



It only took a few minutes to realize that six bottles of 2JB wasn't going to cut it. Everyone wanted in on the action! So I distributed small portions in paper cups to everyone from my grandmother on down (saving meal-time bottles for my bro-in-law and me). Uncles, aunts, cousins, parents and sibs all agreed that it was a fine, thankful brew.





A couple of days later, the missus and me had a few friends along for a night of leftovers...and wouldn't you know there were requests all 'round for some 2JB. So out came more bottles and more happy drinkers.

(Oh, and btw: I thought it turned out great...a solid, clear beer with the right touch of the flavors we'd added in.)




So here we are on the last day of November, and I think I've got 4 bottles in the refrigerator and 4 or 5 more coming to me from Nahum's basement (I know he's been spreading the holiday cheer at his family & friend meals, too). And that's it - Batch Bet is nearly as gone as Batch Alef...which means next weekend we have to get the next brew rocking!

1 comment:

Winitsky said...

Doorbells are ringing up and down Oakland Avenue - and I proudly claim to be a regular ringer. Had the pleasure of one of the last Batch Bets with Nahum on Saturday, and I must say - hands down, the best Pumpkin Ale I've ever had. Sweet in just the right measure, without all that....pumpkin, nice and unexpected spice, and extremely quaffable. I'll be back for the Black and Tans!

David